One of the top tourist destinations in the world, Maldives is an archipelagic nation composed of 1190 islands, 187 of which are inhabited. It has a total of 106 resorts offering luxurious accommodations and activities to experience. Here are 5 things about Maldives you should know before you enjoy a grand vacation in Maldives.
- Maldives is a Muslim country. Islam is the official state religion of Maldives. Non-Muslims are hindered from obtaining citizenship, voting and holding public positions. The President of Maldives must be a Sunni Muslim.
- You cannot drink any alcoholic beverages outside the resorts. You cannot also bring alcoholic beverages and pork products into the country. Tourists are expected to respect Muslim traditions especially during the month of the Ramadan.
- Nudity and topless sunbathing is not allowed, even on resort islands. Bikinis may only be worn in island resorts. If you have to visit the capital city of Male, it is advisable to wear casual and modest clothing.
- Maldives is the smallest Muslim country in the world, and the flattest too! The country has no mountains or hills and its maximum elevation is only 2.4 meters! This is not a place for hiking or mountain trekking, although you can take a stroll and enjoy a pleasurable walk around your resort island.
- Tipping is not welcomed in Maldives. Although tipping is generally accepted in other countries, the 10% service charged which is automatically included in your bill is enough.
Maldives is one country that offers so much in terms of water activities. These interesting facts about Maldives will help you understand its people, culture and traditions. Consult TravGroup for more details and information.